14 December 2014

14 Dec 2014: Hatfield to Potters Bar

Hertford. Would we make it to that destination, on a rather icy morning? To be honest I wasn’t really expecting anyone to come out when I left my home, as the road beneath me sparkled and crunched in a rather delightful way.

outside the cafe
The elusive Broadway Cafe in Potters Bar
But I did attract one customer and that was Richard, so the pair of us set off on a careful ride. Now Hatfield to Potters Bar is a staggeringly awesome mileage of 7 miles: not really stretching it is it? So I managed to work out a wiggly route that covered 18 miles, and most of them were icy. We headed out via Green Lanes and up over Woodcock Hill, dropping down into Jersey Farm, then we wobbled up through Oaklands College (I’m slightly envious of sheep and their warm, woolly coats).

Soon enough we hit the outskirts of St Albans and I chose to power on through and take Napsbury by surprise, when most of the natives were still in their beds.  In the more built up areas ice was not a problem, but as soon as we were on the quiet lanes slushy ice was everywhere and strangely enough, there was a lot of running water as well.

We headed towards Shenley, and were well warmed up as we tackled Black Lion Hill, named because there aren’t any Black Lions in the area at all. Then we took to the lanes and followed a lovely meandering route sandwiched between major roads (M25 and A1M). This widdly (sic) winding lane takes us into Ridge and down into Trotters Bottom. Leaving Trotters Bottom is a nice leisurely climb. Then we were in Potters Bar and we zoooooooomed straight past the café: I could have sworn it was the other side of the bridge. I couldn’t find the bloody café anywhere but after making enquiries we were directed back the way we came. It’s a good café and had an added extra as Stuart was waiting for us.

Even though it was heating up we called it a day at this point; one of our party had a rather chesty cough and I wanted to see him back home OK.
Neil 14/12/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment